Skip to content

Skin In The Game, Pinker, Lecktchurs, Gad Saad, journos | Twitter

Audio Only (Right Click to Download): My Chat With Nassim Taleb

@jacoporomei Squid ink in Italy is squid ink. Ciao a tutti. @nntaleb you know what you’re missing here. ;-) Permalink 11:54 AM – 4 Mar 2018

@MaxAbrahms It’s crucial for the public to understand how foreign governments pay US-based think tanks to provide most of the expert commentary for the media, leading to factually inaccurate, dangerous foreign policy advocacy.   Permalink 11:15 AM – 4 Mar 2018

@nntaleb Finalmente! Et complevit libri itinere! No more lecktchurs! Nunc autem scribo a reliquis duobus annis. Ego igitur studere “Probability puzzles” (aenigmata) , legere libros in linguam Latinam, et non et non errare, ut in textu hic. —so I don’t make mistakes as the ones here. Permalink 9:43 AM – 4 Mar 2018

@EmmaRoseHurst Something isn’t quite right about this placement @nntaleb #books #skininthegame Permalink 7:27 AM – 4 Mar 2018

@CutTheKnotMath Illustrated Sum of Cubes – All in a Plane   #FigureThat #math #algebra #arithmetic ” target=”_blank”>”> Permalink 5:59 AM – 4 Mar 2018

@reformthinktank ‘Skin in the game in public services’ – new blog from @AlexJHitchcock after the publication of @nntaleb’s book & its implications of accountability in decision-making for the UK Government:   #reform #accountability #decisionmaking ” target=”_blank”>”> Permalink 1:45 AM – 4 Mar 2018

@nntaleb Is @AUB_Lebanon bowing to Saudi pressures? If shown to be true, I will be obligated to return my honorary doctorate.   Permalink 6:27 AM – 3 Mar 2018

@nntaleb Revenge book reviews no longer work: journos now have skin in the game. @nntaleb   Permalink 5:55 AM – 3 Mar 2018

@paulorrj “The more humans try to be half-gods, the more they become half-monsters.”   Permalink 4:20 AM – 3 Mar 2018

@trishankkarthik The courageous Alan Dershowitz: “In 50 years of teaching at Harvard, Stanford, NYU … you name it, I have never met a group of less courageous people in my whole life than tenured … professors.”   Permalink 9:41 PM – 2 Mar 2018

@giladmp “If you have an audience and you are not going against something bigger, more powerful than yourself – you are a bullsh*t vendor.” -@nntaleb I have tried really hard to come up with exceptions. I couldn’t find any. Permalink 6:39 PM – 2 Mar 2018

@nntaleb 3) Here is Pinker’s spinning like a BS vendor to answer technical points. Charlatan. Permalink 3:23 PM – 2 Mar 2018

@nntaleb Destroy Lobbies. The cancer of democracies.   Permalink 12:05 PM – 2 Mar 2018

@semperfidem2004 @rolandvstewart @UxbEconomist07 @paulrey99 @New_Westphalian @GrahamGords1001 @HadjMDahou must watch. Terrific discussion. Taleb’s short comparison between spread of Wahabi Islam (roughly half way through) nails it   Permalink 10:23 AM – 2 Mar 2018

@nntaleb The Biggest Takeaways from Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s Book “Skin In The Game” – Part One   Permalink 7:53 AM – 2 Mar 2018

@nntaleb Actually a very hostile interviewer   Permalink 7:35 AM – 2 Mar 2018

@nntaleb Interview with @TheEconomist @annemcelvoy   Permalink 7:15 AM – 2 Mar 2018

@gllowin Made my day to hear @nntaleb discuss #skininthegame yesterday. But sir – next time in a gym (deadlifts only), to test body as well as mind? Permalink 6:03 AM – 2 Mar 2018

@nntaleb Someone before the lecktchur introduced himself to me as “Ex-Muslim”. So I introduced myself in return as “Ex-Intellectual” (also spelled Ex-Intellecktchual).   Permalink 5:09 AM – 2 Mar 2018

@nntaleb Policy implications from Skin in the Game   Permalink 4:59 AM – 2 Mar 2018

@nntaleb 2) Actually, Steven Pinker @sapinker is MISREPRESENTING the exchange. I merely asked for his email and the chance to discuss something by mail about his MS. He gave it to me and NO discussion of specifics took place. No wonder he has some difficulties with the truth. Permalink 11:39 AM – 1 Mar 2018

@nntaleb Yes, I know it is complicated… Permalink 9:25 AM – 1 Mar 2018

@nntaleb This explains why I went into my library in 2009 & left the circuit.   Permalink 8:01 AM – 1 Mar 2018

@nntaleb 2) Announcement: Does anyone know the Haplogroup of the Jandalis of Homs? Do you know any Jandali who did his DNA?   Permalink 6:49 AM – 1 Mar 2018

@thackerpd Corporate funded organizations are actively trying to obscure #FOIA importance and rebrand it as “harassment” In this email, Jon Entine of the Genetic Literacy Project and Rebecca Goldin of STATS work with Keith Kloor to gin up this narrative   Permalink 6:45 AM – 1 Mar 2018

@nntaleb IRONY of History: Where you discover that Alan Dershowitz @AlanDersh and the Hashemites of Mecca and Jordan share a common great…great…grandfather. J1e is the Arab subclade. To get the exact degree we need the subclades/haplotypes. Permalink 6:36 AM – 1 Mar 2018

@nntaleb More evidence that Pinker @sapinker is a charlatan. I pointed out technical flaw: responds by shifting focus/demonizing the messenger. So far Pinker NEVER answered our querry. He turned down an invitation by the Nobel Foundation to respond. Charlatan!   Permalink 6:08 AM – 1 Mar 2018

@nntaleb A discussion with his Gadness @GadSaad about Skin in the Game. Gad understands costly signaling & ecological rationality & doesn’t dumb down. My best video discussions ever, one of the two best discussions (other coming Monday with @econtalk (econtawk)   Permalink 3:53 AM – 1 Mar 2018

@chandrarsrikant .@nntaleb on entrepreneurs who ‘cash out’: “This form of entrepreneurship is the equivalent of bringing great-looking and marketable children into the world with the sole aim of selling them at age four” #skininthegame Permalink 10:55 PM – 28 Feb 2018

@nntaleb We now suspect this to be false. Genetics are like paternity tests. Marsa BTW means “harbor” in Phoenician? Ramatuelle-> hill of God   Permalink 5:12 PM – 28 Feb 2018

@nntaleb With @GadSaad : One Hebraio-Phoenician debates a Greco-Phoenician   Permalink 1:02 PM – 28 Feb 2018

@nntaleb 5) Was wondering if Zoe Williams @zoesqwilliams was a lunatic to review a book (Skin in TG, see above) w/0 getting anything right & not realizing she could be caught. Turns out she is indeed a lunatic: she invents facts. Guardian retracted piece below.   Permalink 12:30 PM – 28 Feb 2018

@GadSaad My Chat with @nntaleb (THE SAAD TRUTH_597):  . Enjoy, share, and consider supporting my efforts via @patreon and/or @paypal. Permalink 9:18 AM – 28 Feb 2018

@GadSaad I just finished my chat with The Merciful Greco-Phoenician Grand Emperor @nntaleb. We could have gone on for another five hours. Get ready. It’s a good one! Permalink 8:10 AM – 28 Feb 2018

@tallcoachcd @nntaleb THE book arrived yesterday and we read the introduction this morning. Then my wife turned the book over and was reading the quotes, and on the back cover: “For my wife and me, Antifragile is an annual read.” Colle from Richmond, Virginia (Twitter) Permalink 6:54 AM – 28 Feb 2018

@turlevnon Rax Ellak Mamnunak bel leğğa l’lebnéniyé yalli ent betxebba Nexna mnekbar fik Malfonô Tawdi Sagi @nntaleb #Skin_in_the_game Permalink 5:39 AM – 28 Feb 2018

@nntaleb Which is why I refuse honorary degrees & awards. They give you an award, then they own you.   Permalink 7:12 PM – 27 Feb 2018

@nisfrome Studied the Talmud for 12 years in Yeshiva but learned more about applying its lessons to the real world in first chapter of @nntaleb #SkinInTheGame Permalink 4:53 PM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb My NYU lecktchur today: Lindy effect, use chalk and blackboard. Permalink 2:51 PM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb Where I discover via Twitter that I am a confirmed participant at the Complex System Uber-Conference!   Permalink 11:47 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@GadSaad OK folks. Greco-Roman Emperor @nntaleb and I will be chatting tomorrow at 10:00 am EST (taped). It will be one of many short chats (series) that we’ll be holding. Fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride. May Darwin be with me! Permalink 9:40 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb GUESSING GAME: The @FT Book Review above by @johngapper has the following # of errors in reading comprehension: Permalink 9:24 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@IbnKhaldune In the past, it was impossible to fight against bullies who bought ink by the truckload. Twitter has allowed you to now have your own “printing press” and to fight back just as hard. It’s glorious to watch them squirm. Permalink 7:02 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@Praxicle You are the authentic SITG entrepreneur of this generation. Thank you for everything I’ve learned from your books, distilled from courage via action & insight. A big fan of all your work, the only symmetry I can payback is in having taught my kids about SITG and then living it.   Permalink 7:01 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb 4) I am standing ALONE against half of Fleet Street, with millions or readers, and a vicious mob-lynching mentality, ALONE against an army of journos, and f*** idiot call me a “bully”?   Permalink 5:48 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb 3) EERIE: journos making, 11 years later, the SAME mistakes about the same points… Permalink 5:41 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb For instance 11 years from now their comments will still be part of a manual exposing their mistakes for case studies for students in journalism. 11 years ago, this imbecile @EasterbrookG reviewed The Black Swan. Permalink 5:35 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb Journalists are used to people being terrorized by them, particularly those “powerful yet slaves”; they feel entitled to viciously smear those they can smear. They aren’t used to someone defiant & crazy enought to hound them back one by one. One by one, doggedly.   Permalink 5:29 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb This also explains the failure of mean-field in the Selfish Gene derivations: a function of an average is not an average of functions. cc:@yaneerbaryam   via @YouTube Permalink 5:21 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb Lkbir ma bi-zaghghér w l zghir ma bi-kabbér   Permalink 4:38 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb Philology, Musing Du jour: Both Ar. Sahar (vigil, wake, evening gathering, moonlighting) and Shahr (month), seem to come from the same Phoenician-Hebrew-Aramaic סהר = Moon, Crescent. Shhr (reputation) could be another root. Is it Persian (شهر => )? Permalink 4:32 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@nntaleb First kontact with readers…   Permalink 3:38 AM – 27 Feb 2018

@GadSaad Issues that you’d like @nntaleb and I to cover on THE SAAD TRUTH. Go! Permalink 12:34 PM – 26 Feb 2018

@nntaleb Henry I Miller has feen fired from Forbes & Project Syndicate (& his articles removed) after the discovery that Monsato was writing his articles. Some sites, s.a. @NRO and @statnews resist firing him. Is it evidence these sites are also Monsanto funded/fronts? Permalink 8:16 AM – 26 Feb 2018

@nntaleb There is a SEVERE problem with @statnews   Permalink 7:47 AM – 26 Feb 2018

@nntaleb Universalism leads to monoculture. Incompatible with complex systems. Thread.   Permalink 7:02 AM – 26 Feb 2018

@nntaleb Ha! SITG making it into policy even BEFORE publikaschion! Permalink 5:50 AM – 26 Feb 2018

@nntaleb I just published “The Controversy around Skin in the Game”   Permalink 1:57 AM – 26 Feb 2018